Friday, November 10, 2006

"Read This Song" - Hijacked Words

I woke up crying today, and all of the things that I've been writing about in the past month have been threatening to catch up with me. The heartache of discovering what I found in his pocket the night he "worked late." That telephone number on the matchbook that I wasn't supposed to see on his dresser. I've been whirling adrift in a vast tempest of emotion. This is what I've been feeling. These are the words that express my heartache most pefectly...

How I hate reading something like that in a blog only to find the "perfect words" that follow to be nothing more than the plagiarized lyrics from some song. Let me shout this, loud and clear: Posting the lyrics to a song isn't writing a blog entry. It's plagiarism. Plagiarism of somebody else's emotion. Stealing somebody else's words.

I don't visit your blog to "read the radio." I visit because I want to know about what's going on in YOUR life - not what was going through some lyricist's head, especially if he's just a good lyricist and never actually felt the emotions that you're going through as fast as you're running through the Kleenex.

I'd rather read your sucky, inadequate, plain, unmetered, unrhyming but original expressions of your gut feelings than some bard's slick verses with you carrying on, "Oh! This is so profound! This is me! This is what I'm feeling! (Brace for the anticlimax.) Here! Read this song.

I have lyrics. Lots of lyrics. Some of them are over 30 years old. I wrote them back when I believed nobody would ever love me. I have the songs I wrote around the words too - melodies, some with counterpoint and full instrumental accompaniment - others still just flimsy sketches of notes and chord names on hastily scrawled staves - notes that never quite came together into anything worth recording. I keep them all in a folder and now and then I go through them just to remind myself of how lucky I am to have found my soulmate, the love of my life, the one person above all others who erased all the crap I was feeling back then when expressing my misery in emotion was all I could do to comfort myself.

Take some piano lessons. Buy a rhyming dictionary. Work your ass off, but don't post somebody's recorded lyrics as the best possible expression of what you're feeling. They're not yours. It's not genuine. What you're doing is emotional plagiarism, and I think it sucks.


Part of the collection of lyrics I wrote
a lifetime ago in throes of emotional misery.
Technorati Tags: deesjoe sweetmrs39 cock sucking cocksucking cocksucker pussy fuck fucker fucked fucking licker licking balls nuts fellatio blow job blowjob dick handjob hot wife hotwife shared wife sharedwife cunnilingus cunt snatch slit gash vagina sex sexy sexblog sexblogs blog cum ejaculate bareback swingers swinging bi bisexual bi-sexual bicurious bi-curious jism spunk cockbloggingwednesday half-nekkid thursday hnt rimjob rimming vulva labia intercourse nipples tits areola areolas majora minora breasts clitoris penis lifestyle dildo erection polyamory milf semen masturbation masturbate orgasm climax clit dick prick boner hardon woody erection asshole anus buns analingus ass

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you are harsh, baby.

Or maybe I'm just hanging my head in shame for the time or two I've posted lyrics. :)

Wait, does it disturb you similarly to find quotations from ancient or not-so-ancient philosophers?

Desireous said...

I think if the blogger is clear about the fact that they are using lyrics and they credit the origanal artist its not really a big deal. Blogs are a different sort of animal and so I personally think they need to be looked at a little differently then say a newspaper or a magazine.
You know for someone with a very open mind you sure can be a hardass!!! :-)
Hugs
Des